In a variety of ways, smart devices like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We have the ability to get alerts when a stranger comes up our front steps, and we can even have footage sent to us when suspicious activity is happening. Having implements we are able to interact with over the internet alerts us to developing hazards immediately. But there is one chief downside. The simple access we enjoy is also opening a door virtual intrusions.
While you don’t need to lay awake at night agonizing over smart home hacking in Tallahassee, you ought to be cognizant of the risk involved and take action to avoid it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
Almost anything can be joined to the internet today - your home defense components, lighting, and even your refrigerator. This also creates more pathways for virtual villains to invade your network. With that being said, you don’t have to forgo wireless home security systems or other smart appliances. Alternatively, abide by these recommendations and do what you can to keep invaders away from your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a requirement for all accounts, and that includes your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and a blend of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Avoid dates of birth, anniversaries, or other options hackers might easily guess. A password fabricator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password management tool can aid you in keeping tabs on your different passwords and accounts.
- Change default settings: When hooking up that new router, it will probably come with a preprogrammed password to get you started. Change it. Hackers may have these default settings as well. Establishing your private network and router correctly at the start will go a long way to keeping you secure.
- Create more than one network: Why put your smart oven, your security devices, and your home computer on one network? Many routers permit you to initiate a different guest network. Be sure to use it and protect important information present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for commercial networks. They might also be integrated with your personal network. Firewalls will watch the traffic on your network and block suspect activity. You could start with a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Utilize the most up-to-date encryption options and security protocols: If you have a new router, you might have the chance to incorporate WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You need to find home security devices that protect with 128-bit or higher.
- Ensure firmware and software is current: Keep your software and firmware up to date for all components, which includes your connected camera surveillance. Many times, these updates will fix vulnerabilities and bolster your network security.
Be Cautious of Cheap Smart Home Devices In Tallahassee
Respected brands like ADT and Amazon have reputations to protect and will quickly make an effort to rectify a security issue in their equipment. Other off-the-shelf products might not be quite as diligent. Buying your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and other smart devices from a single reputable company like ADT makes sense. And getting all of your components hooked up at the same time will help ensure seamless implementation, operation, and security. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, employs two-way encryption when communicating with your connected equipment.
Design Your Own Tallahassee Home Security System
As you now have a better idea on how to keep your wireless network secure, it’s time to begin designing your own home security in Tallahassee. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to customize the perfect package for your family. Dial (850) 347-8092 or fill out the form to upgrade your home’s protection.